Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Things we Don't Miss

In case you missed it, our good friend Brian commented on our last post, asking:

Do you also miss:
Traffic
Neocons
Smog
Skyline
Bill O'Reilly
The NFL
Wal*Mart
Junk Mail
Robo Calls
Country Music
American Idol
NPR
The Ohio River
Fireworks/Gunshots
SUVs
Christmas Ads (in October)
Veteran's Day
Co-Pays
Stuffing yourself at every meal?

In most cases, Brian, the answer is an enthusiastic no, but, strangely, I find myself missing some of the things on your list. I miss NPR hugely, although Emeline listens to it at work on her computer (slacker). I miss Bill O'Reilly. How weird is that? He reminds me why I feel the way I feel. I miss co-pays in exchange for good health care ... I'll post more about that in the next few days, but let's just say that I visited a doctor last week and we Googled "meibomian cyst" together. That just seems wrong. Just because it's free, doesn't mean it can be bad.

We get some of the things on your list: Fireworks (in honor of Guy Fawkes last week); and Veteran's Day (Armistice Day here).

Otherwise, we both feel incredibly happy to be uncoupled from the other things on the list, like smog, junk mail (more about that later too), robo calls, SUVs, and the endless cycle of over consumption, followed by indigestion (transport-related/food-related).

2 comments:

egtk said...

Brian, you're right to point out the things that we don't have to miss. :) I guess it all just evens out, right?

As for NPR, I do listen to it at work (WVXU, in fact, streaming audio ... thank goodness!!!) but:
a) it makes me not miss Cincy traffic
b) I am not a slacker! NPR is educational and necessary.

Anonymous said...

You need to make one more list of all the things you'll miss after Kemp 2.0 is born. I don't have any children, but I'm pretty sure I can start the list from my experience with friends and family:

Sleep
Sex
Tidy house
Popular culture
Recognizing anything but the season
Adult conversations
Slow meals
Grandparents acting like adults
...