Sunday, November 2, 2008

Bottling my Ginger Beer

For the last week, I've been feeding my ginger beer every day. First you start off with what's called the plant, which I made last week. Every day, you add one teaspoon of sugar and one teaspoon of finely-cut ginger. I've been liberal with the ginger, though, because I want to make sure it really tastes gingery.

Then, today, I zested a couple of lemons, and cut up another big chunk of ginger, strained my plant and added the lemon zest, the ginger, and the juice of three lemons to the strained plant. I boiled about 1-pound of sugar in 1-liter of water. Added it all together and added another 3-liters of water.

I've bottled these 4-liters. They're supposed to sit for a week.

They might explode.

They're in the basement.

In a box.


No comments: