Sunday, November 23, 2008

Exploding Ginger Beer

Here's some video of me opening one of my bottles of ginger beer a couple of days ago. For anyone who has ever accused me of lacking foresight, please note that I chose to open it standing next to the sink, leaning over the draining board.

And I carried the bottle up from the basement very carefully. At arm's length. Because it felt charged. Or armed. Like a bomb. The metal lid was buckled outward with the force of the gases that had built up inside. I'm guessing we were a day or two from a messy, gingery explosion down in the basement.

Even more surprising than the fizziness was the taste. It's actually drinkable! In fact, it's a delicious, sharp gingery brew, full of citrus from the lemon zest, with a yeasty, beery flavor to it. Very good! My next task is to make myself a dark and stormy: Dark rum, homemade ginger beer, twist of lemon, and plenty of ice.

It sounds like a good pirate drink to me. Arrrrrrr, shipmates.

Anyway: To the video!


No comments: