Friday, November 14, 2008

Seaweed!

So, this week I wrote an article for a really nice New Zealand-based food magazine called Dish. It's one of those thick glossy magazines with recipes and fancy food-related articles. I pitched them an idea on eating locally-harvested seaweed after receiving an email about a seaweed cooking class from the local aquarium. I won't tell you too much about it ... I'm not sure if I'm allowed to plagiarize myself. Isn't that weird? It comes out in January. Anyway, Emeline and I attended the class, along with a photographer (which got us plenty of stares). And so it's become a photo assay, with the essay by one Mr Christopher Kemp.

Then, last weekend, we headed out to the coast with our boots on, and with pocketfuls of plastic bags, and I hauled in pounds and pounds of fresh bright green gelatinous seaweed for us to cook with.

Our house stinks. Our fridge should just be thrown away. I feel like we live under a pier.

And Emeline very quickly went off seaweed. Really quickly. I can't really imagine her ever eating it again.

No comments: