Monday, December 15, 2008

Stubborn.

I've been telling myself that I'll get used to it all. Somehow and someday just "get it". But the frustrated scientist in me says that I should stop being so damn stubborn and start to learn it instead. I'm talking about putting a stop to walking around aimlessly at the grocery store wondering just how many kilos of peppers I need to buy. Or taking a step outside and thinking "yes, this is what 18 degrees Celsius feels like." I've just been deferring to Chris to do my converting for me or saying to people "that means nothing to me." I'm so obnoxious.

I just need to learn my conversions.

So, this blog entry is more for me than for any of you standard measurement readers. But if you ever visit us and need to answer or decipher the following questions:

Doctor: "How tall are you? How much do you weigh?"
Police: "Do you know how fast you were driving?"
Baker: "This cake is delicious! How much butter did you use?"
Midwife: "Congratulations! You're baby weighs --kilos!" Whaaaa??

you're good as gold, mate. (ETK)




MASS and VOLUME
1 gram(g) = .035 ounce (oz)
100 grams = 3.5 ounces
500 grams = 1.10 pounds (lbs)
1 kilogram (kg) = 2.205 pounds
1 kilogram = 35 oz
1 gallon (gal) = ~3.8 liters (L)
1 ounce (oz) = ~30 grams (g)

TEMPERATURE
degree Celsius (C) = 1.8C + 32 degrees Fahrenheit (F)

LENGTH
1 meter (m) = 3 feet (ft) = 1 yard (yd)
1 kilometer (km) = 0.621 miles (mi)
1 hectare (ha) = 2.47 acres (ac)

COOKING
1 teaspoon = 5 ml
1 tablespoon = 15 ml
3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon
1 fluid oz. = 30 ml
1/5 cup = 50 ml
1 cup = 240 ml
2 cups (1 pint) = 470 ml
4 cups (1 quart) = .95 liter
4 quarts (1 gal.) = 3.8 liters

Just in case ...
ILLUMINATION
1 foot-candle (fc) = 10.76 lux (lx)

1 comment:

mary said...

Emeline, when is the test? How long do I have to study? Your other option is to look at people blankly and say, "I don't know. I'm from the US." That worked pretty well for Julie and me!!
:-)