Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A little finger

Max and Emeline are home. Our house looks like a disaster area. You'd think a battalion of soldiers stayed here for a few days while we were at the hospital: dirty mugs, pillows, shoes, clothes, used Kleenex, towels, books, newspapers, chaos, disorder. The lights are on in every room, all the time. It's hard to believe that the person most responsible for this mess weighs only 7-pounds, and measures nearly 21-inches.

There are things no one prepares you for. Everyone talks about the beautiful smell of a baby. Come and smell ours then. Phew! He's losing the little bit of umbilical cord left behind by the clamps and it smells like the end of a pier. Truthfully, just like the end of a pier. Hopefully, this doesn't last too long.

I've already learned a useful trick, though. If he's screaming, just stick your finger in the hole. No one can scream with a finger in his mouth. Try it with your own mouth and your own finger. It's not possible. I'm reminded of the story about the little boy who stuck his finger in a hole in a dam, and stopped the water from coming through. I mean, once I've stopped the screaming with my little finger, what do I do then?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhhhh, wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! That is one beautiful baby. I'm in love.

Anonymous said...

Come on Chris we all know that you have coffee on your finger...that was the only way to shut you up was to give you coffee in the morning. Yes, the cord thing I could wait till it fell off...I was alway afriad that would pull it off when changing a diaper. Oh, shit I just gave you one more thing to worry about...what are friends for.

Britgirl said...

Beautiful baby boy, can't wait to hold him.