Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Pink Lady Cake

All the nesting has been done. We have a mountain of stockpiled diapers/nappies in a spare room, next to a tower of stockpiled baby wipes. If nuclear war breaks out, our baby will have a clean bottom. Emeline has too much time on her hands now. When no position is comfortable any more, you tend to move around a lot, so she's keeping herself busy cooking. We've had delicious soups, wonderful lasagne, chocolate chip cookies, and green tea cupcakes, with green tea-flavored icing.

To the non-pregnant come the spoils.

I've probably gained twenty pounds or so in the last few months. Hopefully, sleep deprivation is a good weight loss tool. Only time will tell.

Most recently, a good friend of ours celebrated a birthday. Even though she won't tell me which birthday she's celebrating, Emeline baked her an extravagant, gargantuan Pink Lady cake. Pounds of sugar, and butter, cupfuls of egg whites. Once made, it probably weighed about the same amount as my total weight gain so far. It was not an inconsequential cake: one piece would feed a family for three or four days. I had a piece all to myself, like a giant pink wedge. I felt like a mouse, gorging on pink cheese.

And I had the simple sensual pleasure of watching it being made, by a delicious pregnant lady who can't sit still on the couch long enough to be lazy. And so, even though I've gained weight, I won't turn down something that I might not get to see for a long long time once our new human arrives.

2 comments:

Britgirl said...

Chris, that was beautifully written, I am so proud of you. And I can't wait until you three move back to the USA, then maybe Em can bake cakes for me !

Anonymous said...

She'll bake you all the cakes you want!