Thursday, July 17, 2008

More graffiti: General Bengal

I like this one a lot. We walk past a delicatessen on the way to work and this advertisement for Tiger Tea takes up one wall. It's huge. I'm probably as tall as the tiger. Some cheeky young scamp has given the tiger a uniform and turned it into General Bengal: the vicious despotic leader of some war-torn imaginary country. It really reminds me of the dusty self-reverential billboards one might see in a country ruled by some thug who has adopted military garb and overthrown the government, calling himself something grandiose, like: The Beatific Leader.

General Bengal is ruthless. Like a shark, he is always moving, sleeping in a different bed, in a different safehouse, in a different city, every night, to avoid attack by counter-revolutionary forces.

I mean, would you buy tea from this tiger? I wouldn't. (ck)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I might. I do love that Bengal Spice tea that is kinda chai-y.

I love good graffiti. A play I wrote chronicles the activities of a bunch of taggers in NY. Sorta.

Have you seen Style Wars? It's an pretty amazing early-ish documentary (1983) about taggers in NY (and hip hop culture).

Anonymous said...

Moonie,

I haven't seen it. I'd like to though. I have some more Dunedin graffiti to share too.