Saturday, July 26, 2008

Good graffiti versus bad graffiti

Here are a couple more examples of graffiti from around Dunedin. I like this first one. I think this is King Tutankhamen, but I'm not completely sure. I'm not an Egyptologist. Did you know Freud was? Anyway, whoever this is, he's an ancient Egyptian and he's hiding down the end of an otherwise anonymous alleyway near the medical school. It's like he's silently guarding the alley. There's something quite enjoyable about the size of it: it's probably about eight-feet-tall and it must have taken someone a while to finish.


This next one is a really good example of bad Dunedin graffiti. The medical school is not gay. And there's really nothing remotely artful about claiming that it is. It didn't take any time or creativity. It's vandalism. It's a poke in the eye of authority. It's anarchistic. It's childish. So why did I laugh so much when I saw it? It has the spirit of Dada about it, I suppose. Or maybe it's just funny. (ck)

No comments: