Friday, February 20, 2009

Being spoiled.

For the last 3 weeks, Max has been coddled, cuddled, spoiled and snuggled. He's the celebrity of the family having had his picture taken at almost all of his waking (and sleeping) moments. And all because he's the newest member of the family. Someone new to love and welcome into their lives.

We have been lucky to have my family (parents and sister) visit us from thousands of miles away. I say lucky because the new, sleep-deprived, extremely tired parents (us) had the chance to find some extra sleep, shower, brush teeth, and eat a few meals together. It's very likely that my family didn't even think that they were doing us any favors. They just wanted to meet Max. Hold him close. Hear him coo and cry. Watch him smile at the faces they made. But these very things gave me and Chris a welcome break to this new adventure called parenting.

Just a simple visit, for a simple reason: Max.

But the results were far more profound:
My parents saw me as a parent for the first time. Chris and I learned how to leave the house with Max for longer than an hour. We learned that sometimes Lolo (Grandpa) is best at calming a screaming Max (and that this is the first time my dad has ever held a baby since his own.) We know that we will return to the U.S. soon enough to be closer to our families.

My family visiting us here in Dunedin, meeting Max, staying at our rental house, helping us move into our new house, walking on our favorite beaches, eating at our favorite restaurants. ... they are witnesses to our life here in New Zealand. Somehow it makes it more real.

Chris and I know how difficult it is for anybody to visit us here in New Zealand. So naturally, we're thankful and appreciative to my family. Thank you.

You are already missed - mom, dad, and Jojo. We will see you soon and never be away for too long.

And don't worry, dad, Max will call you soon ... and often. (ETK)



No comments: