Wednesday, January 28, 2009

At the Beach

I have to go back to work tomorrow. Boo. So we made sure we went to the beach today. The sun was shining and the sky was a bright blue bowl. For a while anyway. We drove north, through Port Chalmers (more on Port later -- we just bought a house there), to Aramoana: Maori for pathway to the sea.

I did a spot of fishing, buying a squid from the fishmonger on the drive there. I didn't catch a fish. I was put off by seals swimming and rolling through the green thick drifts of seaweed in front of me. And the occasional blue penguin bobbing past on its belly. And the seagulls diving into the water from high up in the sky to catch fish, with their wings folded back, making a sound like a stone entering the water.

Too much nature!

These are things I can't complain about, I suppose, even if they stop me from catching my dinner. I had a couple of great bites, though, which I missed (no excuse). My hands still smell of squid now.

Not good.

No comments: