Friday, September 19, 2008

Socks!

We've now reached a special point in the pregnancy. As the weeks pass, we get a good sense of how big Kemp 2.0 is from the books and websites we've been reading: first he's the size of a plum; then a lemon; a beefsteak tomato; or a grapefruit. Right now he's a bag of sugar. The growth of our baby is mysterious and mostly hidden from us. The lump is a symptom, and the growth is unseen.

But we've now reached a landmark that's concrete: Emeline can't put her socks and shoes on anymore! Every day, she points her toes out and I pull her socks on for her. And then I tie her shoelaces. From most angles, she doesn't even look all that pregnant. And then that belly!

After a shoes-to-flip-flops change before a walk on the beach last week, I got up from untying Emeline's shoes and saw a couple standing by their car and looking down at me with pity, obviously wondering if I was being held captive.

But I'm not.

I'm just practicing my socks and shoelaces skills.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris, what Emeline didn't tell you is that you get to be the one to teach Pancake shoe skills when the time comes...so she's making sure you get lots of practice. :-)