Thursday, September 25, 2008

Monsters of the Deep

As Emeline mentioned, after escaping a spirited seal pup attack, we went fishing last weekend. I stood on the slippery rocks, flinging a lead weight out into the chop, my line baited with a chicken heart. And this is what I caught. What a monster! It's some kind of wrasse, I think, maybe a banded wrasse.

Assuming it didn't meet the size requirements for keeping fish, I decided to throw it back. This idea had merit with my pregnant yogi wife, for not altering the planet's Ch'i, or energy flow, too much. So I took a step toward the pounding waves, lost my footing, and got stabbed in the hand by a spiny dorsal fin, all while my arm was beginning the arc that would return this fearsome beast to the sea. Instead, it flew straight up in the air. And then landed on the rocks about three feet away with a very dissatisfying thud. It bounced once on the rocks (quite high, I thought, for a fish), before landing in the sea.

On its side. Completely Ch'i-less.

I tried to convince Emeline that it was resting.

Unless she was crying with happiness, I don't think she believed me.


No comments: