Friday, June 6, 2008

Big News

How many people are standing here in this photograph, on the prow of a boat in Milford Sound?

If you answered, "One," you'd be forgiven for choosing the most obvious answer. And you'd be wrong. There are two people there. Or, more accurately: there's one person and one fetus.

To quote our midwife, Maria: Emeline has a, "perfect little parasite growing inside her tummy."

Obviously, Emeline and I both hope the baby isn't really growing inside her tummy. Although, it might explain why she feels sick all the time. So, we're having a baby. We've made another human being. And the rest of our lives will never be the same again. Not even remotely. We have lots of reading to do. And lots of things to buy. It's surreal, and a little bewitching, to think of this human being we've made, slowly taking shape as we go about our daily lives, forming its bones, and its fingers and toes, and becoming the person we'll get to know. It's like making gold from lead, isn't it? It's alchemy. It's witchcraft. Something from nothing. Mysterious. And it makes us happy that he or she will be made of this special place.

We have some names picked out, but would like for people to weigh in with suggestions. Here are the current favorites:

Frodo
Desdemona
Batman
Che
Grommit
Cleopatra
Ringo
Hillary
Genghis
Cher
Robert (pronounced à la française: Roberrrrrrrr)
Marcus Aurelius
Barbarella
Pow!
John

(ck)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I am so happy for you guys! I have some great names in mind but I really think you should defer the naming of your child to your friend Valerie. Afterall, she did win the "Name the Baby Bearcat" contest at UC.

Stef said...

Wow, congrats to both of you!

My vote is for "Barbarella"!

Britgirl said...

I like Desdemona or maybe Grommit !

Anonymous said...

I should have known when Emeline told me that she was knitting!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Maybe more exciting than the New Yorker cartoon contest!
Best wishes to all 3 of you,
Anne M.

Michelle said...

I think I'm voting for Ghengis, boy or girl!

I guess you shouldn't trust my vote because I do have a cat named Poo Poo Pants!

Yaaaaay! Congrats!

xo, Moonie