Sunday, April 13, 2008

What's for dinner?

Living as close to the sea as we do, it's not difficult to find fresh seafood in the grocery store: green-lipped mussels for $2 a pound, clams, blue cod, paddle crabs, tuna, and fresh salmon. On Friday afternoon, I was sitting at my desk at work and I could actually smell the sea. The wind must have been sweeping into the harbor in just the right direction to bring the briny tang of it to my office.

Usually though, the seafood is surprisingly expensive for a coastal city. (Hence the failed fishing expeditions.) And so on Saturday morning I couldn't resist a three-and-a-half foot conger eel for just $2 at the farmers' market. That's about $1.60 in US dollars. There was another eel in the tub that was bigger around than my leg, but we couldn't have carried it home. Emeline was, um, impressed. In her defense, it was really disgusting and covered with mucus.

Next week: What the hell to do with conger eel? (ck)






No comments: