Friday, August 1, 2008

Om and Salutations

As many of you know, I am a yogi. However, this pregnancy has led me to find alternative ways to practice my yoga. In fact, it has become about 10% asana (physical practice) and 90% meditation and pranayama (breathing). So, I'd like to share with you one of my favorite mantras that I like to meditate with and feel is appropriate for this miracle that is constantly growing and evolving inside of me. I don't get to teach yoga anymore these days, so this is sort of a way that I can still pass on my love of yoga to you.

The following mantra is a mantra for new beginnings - traditionally chanted to start new endeavors with positive energy and to remove obstacles. New beginnings give us the opportunity to discover and possibly fulfill our deepest desires in life. But in order to do so, it is essential to remove or steer through obstacles that might hinder a clear path. Although these obstacles may manifest themselves as external problems, they may be as simple as our emotions or thought patterns. If your internal state is unified with your desires you can achieve anything. The mantra acknowledges Ganesha (or Ganapati), a Hindu deity known primarily as "The Remover of Obstacles".

Mantras can be repeated while meditating. It helps the mind concentrate on the breath and hence the present moment. The Sanskrit is written below (with pronunciation) and a rough translation is included.

Om Gum Ganapatayei Namaha
Om Guhm Guh-nuh-puh-tuh-yea Nah-mah-hah

Om and salutations to Ganesha (Ganapati)


(I got this mantra from yogajournal.com - an article by T. Ashley-Farrand. Search the site for more mantras that suit you at different times of your life.)(ETK)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post Emeline! I love that you point out that sometimes we *are* the obstacle. I'm a big fan of Ganesha too. I've been listening to the Dave Stringer Gonapati mantra a lot lately.