Monday, October 27, 2008

Ginger Beer

Today, and for the next couple of weeks, I'll be attempting to make my own homemade ginger beer. This is my second attempt. The first attempt didn't taste quite right. It didn't even taste good, actually. Or gingery. But it didn't kill me, either. There's definitely room for improvement though. My long-term goal, in the distant future, is to make my own rum and to make my own ginger beer and then mix the two together. Rum is much more difficult to make than ginger beer, so I thought I'd start with the ginger beer and work my way up.

Day One:
400ml of warm water
2 teaspoons of sugar
2 teaspoons of freshly cut ginger (I used a LOT more ... I mean, why else call it ginger beer, right?)
10 grams of yeast (our scales aren't very sensitive, so I had to guess. If I've used too much yeast there's a chance my potion will explode next week).

No comments: